Founded in 1974, it received the European Museum of the Year Award in 1981. Its collection includes costumes, uniforms, jewelry and pottery. In the museum shop one can find exhibit copies, books, cds, posters, cards and other gifts.
Built in 1713 as a warehouse for the Venetian Navy, it became a military caserne. During the German Occupation it housed the German Interrogation Office and today it serves as an Archaeological Museum holding a rich collection of finds from prehistoric until roman times.